Pressure Impulse Test Stand
Emprise’s new Pressure Impulse Fatigue Test Stand makes use of modern hydraulic control valve technology to provide a test stand that is simple to operate, accurate, and flexible. The Impulse Test Stand is designed to test spin-on and cartridge type filter assemblies for their resistance to fatigue failure within their envelopes. Test stand design is based on performing the SAE HS-806 and ISO 4548-5 pressure waveforms but other waveforms are easily run as well.
Key performance capabilities of the test stand are:
- Cycle rates from 0 to 2 Hz
- Pressures up to 235 psig (1620 kPa)
- Oil temperatures from 100°F to 200°F
The test stand has four filter test stations. The operator can select to run any combination of the four stations. Each test station runs the same waveform but each station can run a different number of cycles or a different size test filter. Each test station consists of test manifold, pressure control valve, pressure transducer, solenoid valves, and needle valves.
Each of the four filter test stations is located inside the main cabinet, behind a clear polycarbonate door. Each test filter is mounted to the test manifold base in a vertical position. The appropriate threaded mounting stud is installed into the manifold first. Most standard mounting studs are available and custom ones can be ordered as well. Custom manifold adapters are available for cartridge filter housings as an option.
Each filter station is separated by a removable divider made of clear polycarbonate. The divider allows any fluid from a leaking filter to collect in the failure containment drain located at the bottom of the compartment. A fluid level sensor detects this fluid and automatically shuts off that station. The containment drains are emptied via a valve handle located at the lower front of each compartment. The collected fluid drains back to the reservoir.
The test stand's main cabinet is made of steel tube framing with removable aluminum side panels. The main frame is painted black, side panels are blue. The cabinet frame rests inside a drainable containment tray supported by four casters with lockable wheels.
The test station manifolds are supplied oil by an oil supply system located inside the cabinet under the test station compartments. This system consists of pressure compensated main pump, heated reservoir, heat exchanger, circulation pump, temperature control valve, system filters, relief valve and pressure gauges. Plated steel compression fittings and stainless steel tubing are used for the oil system plumbing.
Control System – The test stand is operated on a LabVIEW computer through a graphical user interface. The system software provides for simple user input of the desired test parameters in engineering units. The test system is designed so that the user is not required to monitor the test progress. The system measures, controls, and displays the test system temperature, test pressure, and cycle counts. All measurements are in real time. Each test station is independently controlled and monitored and will shut off when the desired number of cycles is reached or a leak is detected. Independent pressure control eliminates the need for a back-up filter as used on previous generation pressure impulse test stands. The control system does not record data or generate test reports.
The heart of the control system is a proportional hydraulic pressure control valve and highspeed valve driver. The valve driver receives the pressure set point from the control system and pressure reading from the pressure transmitter. The valve driver runs a closed loop algorithm that quickly and accurately sets the pressure to the test filter.
Wave Form Display –An important feature of the test stand is the waveform display screen. This display performs the function of an oscilloscope but does not require the user to scale and interpret the display as required with an oscilloscope. The appropriate engineering units are displayed automatically. Pressure set point and pressure transmitter reading of any of the test stations can be displayed in real time allowing for visual verification of the waveform.
Electrical: 460 VAC, 60 Hz, 40 Amps, 3 Ph. Customer responsible for routing power to the test stand.
Cooling Water: 3 gpm, 85OF maximum. Customer responsible for routing supply and drain lines to/from the test stand.
Dimensions: Main Test Cabinet:
Width 90" (2.26 m)
Depth 48" (1.04 m)
Height 78" (1.905 m)
Shipping Weight: approximately 2,100 pounds
- System Checkout: Emprise will conduct complete factory checkout of the test stands at our Kennesaw facility before shipping. Test article filters for factory checkout will be supplied by the customer. Customer’s personnel are encouraged to witness the factory checkout.
- Delivery and Installation: Emprise will deliver the equipment to the customer’s facility and install the equipment in the test lab.
- Acceptance Testing: After installation Emprise will perform acceptance testing to demonstrate that the equipment meets all requirements and specifications referenced in this proposal.
- Calibration: The instruments used in the test stands will be delivered with their factory calibration certificates. Emprise will perform an initial in-situ calibration to confirm the factory calibration. Any additional in-situ calibration will be the responsibility of the customer.
- Training: Emprise will provide hands-on training for customer’s operators, maintenance ersonnel and support engineers. The training follows the Operators Manual and covers all aspects of operation and maintenance.
- Documentation: Emprise will furnish a complete set of manuals for operation, maintenance and calibration. A complete set of schematic drawings and vendor manuals is included. One hard copy and .pdf files are provided.
- Warranty: Emprise provides a one year warranty of our services and a pass-thru warranty on all purchased hardware. Refer to our Standard Terms and Conditions of Sale for warranty details.
- The customer is responsible for the following tasks:
- Installation of one 40 amp, 480V, 3 phase power feeder with disconnect for the Pressure Impulse Fatigue Test Stand at the location that it is to be installed.
- Provide cooling water at 3 gpm, 85OF maximum for the Pressure Impulse Fatigue Test Stand at the location that it is to be installed.
- Supply drawings and necessary data needed for Emprise to design and fabricate the filter housing adapters.
- Deliver filter test articles to Emprise for factory checkout.
Download the Testand Impulse Fatigue Test Stand pdf.